Wednesday 23 February 2011

We Chat With Author Nalini Singh

Nalini Singh has written many bestselling romance novels including two hugely successful series, Psy/Changeling and Guild Hunter. She's going to be in town soon for the 2nd Australian Romance Readers Convention.

Thanks for answering some questions for our new blog! Let’s start with a simple one: What are you reading at the moment?

PJ Tracy’s “Live Bait”

You’ve joined the illustrious club of “New York Times bestselling” authors, how does that feel?

It’s an incredible, amazing feeling – like champagne in my blood!

How would you describe your work to someone who’s never read it before?

Paranormal romances featuring strong, intelligent women and sexy, dangerous men.

Can you tell us a little bit about your writing process?

Part of what I love about writing is the flexibility of it – my process changes with each book, adapting to the demands of the story.

However, I generally like to do a fast first draft. I don’t do a detailed outline, so that first draft is how I write my way into the story.

I also do at least one edit on paper – it gives me a different perspective to working exclusively on the screen.

You’re heading to Australia soon for the 2nd Australian Romance Readers Convention, what’s it like to be a guest at conventions like this?

It’s a lot of fun – I really enjoy the contact with readers. Also, it’s fabulous to be in an environment with so many other people passionate about reading, and about romances in particular.

Travel appears to be an important part of your life, is it important to you as a writer?

Yes. It brings me joy and feeds my imagination – I love seeing new vistas, exploring the sights, smells and sounds of a different place. I think all of that helps strengthen and add depth to my writing in one way or another.

Also, of course, travel is important to me as a writer in terms of attending conferences, doing signings etc.

You have your psy/changeling series, your guild hunter series, plus writing novellas and short stories for anthologies, how packed is your schedule? And is there a series or a type of story that you prefer to write?

My schedule is extremely tight at the moment, and I have to be quite disciplined about ensuring I meet my deadlines. It keeps me on the straight and narrow!

As for preferences – I love the paranormal romance genre. There’s just so much freedom in it. As long as I follow the rules I set up for my worlds, I’m free to go wild.

What is it about the romance genre that attracts you?

The hope inherent within it. No matter what happens, there will be joy at the end.

And finally, what’s next for you?

I’m currently working on Archangel’s Blade, the fourth book in the Guild Hunter series. My next new release is Kiss of Snow, a pivotal book in the Psy/Changeling series.

Thanks for taking the time to chat with us! 

Thank you for the interview.



No comments:

Post a Comment