Tuesday 27 November 2012

Staff Picks - Best Books of 2012: Kay

Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel

Just as engrossing as the first one, I was transported to the time of Henry the Eighth. An absolutely fascinating look at the politics, both national and international of England at the time. I am anxiously awaiting the third in the trilogy.



Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks

I reread this this year - a rarity for me - but it has always hovered in my top 3 books and so I thought I'd remind myself why. I don't think there's another book about the first world war that packs such a punch - there are passages in this that had me gasping for air - the horror, the futility, the waste of human life. We all know it happened but this really brings it all home. It kept me awake all over again.


Last Man in Tower by Aravind Adiga

I loved White Tiger and was so wary of being disappointed but I actually think this is even better. The residents of a small, respectable block in a run down area of Mumbai are offered incentives, of all kinds, to move out so that a luxury block can be built. The once good friends and neighbours are pitted against each other in a struggle for survival. Engrossing.

Kay is the School Account Manager at Shearers

No comments:

Post a Comment